What are the Types of Passes in Singapore?

In Singapore, there are several types of passes that allow foreigners to live and work in the country. Some of the most common types of passes are:

  1. Employment Pass (EP): The Employment Pass (EP) is a type of work visa in Singapore that allows foreign professionals, managers, executives, and skilled workers to work and live in Singapore. The EP is usually issued to individuals who have a job offer in Singapore. They need to possess the relevant qualifications, work experience, and skills. To be eligible, applicants must have a job offer from a Singaporean employer. They need to possess a recognized degree, professional qualifications, or specialized skills. The employer must also demonstrate that the job cannot be filled by a Singaporean candidate. The validity of an EP ranges from 1 to 2 years, and it can be renewed as long as the applicant continues to meet the eligibility criteria. EP holders are also eligible to apply for permanent residency in Singapore after working for a certain number of years. The EP is one of the most common types of work visas in Singapore and is highly sought after by foreign professionals looking to work in Singapore, which is known for its strong economy and attractive job opportunities.
  2. S Pass: The S Pass is a type of work visa that allows mid-level skilled foreign workers to work in Singapore for up to two years. It is designed for individuals who have a degree, diploma, or technical certificate, as well as relevant work experience in their field. To be eligible for an S Pass, the applicant must earn a fixed monthly salary of at least SGD 2,500 and meet other criteria such as work experience, qualifications, and skill level. The employer must also apply for the S Pass on behalf of the employee and meet certain requirements such as quota and levy requirements set by the Ministry of Manpower. The S Pass is a popular option for foreign workers who do not qualify for an Employment Pass (EP) which is a higher-level work visa. However, compared to the EP, the S Pass has more stringent requirements, including a lower salary threshold and more limited duration of stay.
  3. Work Permit: This pass is for semi-skilled foreign workers in sectors such as construction, manufacturing, and services. A work permit in Singapore is a legal document that allows foreign workers to work in Singapore. It is issued by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) and is necessary for all foreign workers, except for those who hold a valid Employment Pass, S Pass, or Personalised Employment Pass. There are several types of work permits in Singapore, including:
    • Work Permit for Foreign Domestic Workers: This is for those who work as domestic helpers in Singapore.
    • Work Permit for Constructions Workers: This is for those who work in the construction industry.
    • Work Permit for Manufacturing Workers: This is for those who work in the manufacturing industry.
    • Work Permit for Marine Shipyard Workers: This is for those who work in the shipyard industry.
    • Work Permit for Process Workers: This is for those who work in the process industry.

    The requirements and eligibility criteria for obtaining a work permit vary depending on the type of work permit and the industry in which the foreign worker will be working. Generally, the employer must apply for the work permit on behalf of the foreign worker and meet certain requirements, such as paying a security bond and providing medical insurance.

  4. Dependent’s Pass (DP): This pass is for the spouse or unmarried children (under 21 years old) of an EP holder or a Singaporean citizen/permanent resident. The Dependent’s Pass (DP) in Singapore is a type of long-term visa that allows spouses and unmarried children (below 21 years old) of eligible Employment Pass or S Pass holders to stay and live with them in Singapore. It enables the dependents to live, work, and study in Singapore without the need to apply for separate work or student visas. The validity of a Dependent’s Pass is usually tied to the validity of the main work visa (Employment Pass or S Pass) of the sponsor. DP holders may apply for a Letter of Consent (LOC) from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) if they wish to work in Singapore. A LOC allows them to work for any employer in Singapore, subject to certain conditions. To be eligible for a Dependent’s Pass, the sponsor must earn a minimum monthly salary of S$6,000 (or S$12,000 for those with newborns). The sponsor must also provide sufficient documentation to prove their relationship with their dependents.
  5. Long-Term Visit Pass (LTVP): This pass is for foreign spouses, unmarried children (under 21 years old), and parents of Singaporean citizens or permanent residents. The Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP) in Singapore is a type of immigration pass that allows a foreigner to stay in Singapore for an extended period of time, typically for up to 2 years. The LTVP is usually issued to spouses, unmarried children under 21 years old, and parents of Singaporean citizens or permanent residents. The LTVP allows holders to live and work in Singapore, subject to certain conditions. For example, LTVP holders who wish to work must obtain a work permit. The LTVP also provides access to healthcare and education services in Singapore. To apply for the LTVP, applicants must be sponsored by a Singaporean citizen or permanent resident. The sponsor must demonstrate that he or she can support the applicant during their stay in Singapore. The application process typically takes several weeks and involves submitting various documents, such as passport copies, marriage certificates, and proof of financial support. It is important to note that the LTVP is not the same as a Singapore work visa or permanent residency. LTVP holders are still considered foreigners. They must adhere to Singapore’s immigration laws and regulations.
  6. Personalised Employment Pass (PEP): This pass is for high-earning foreign professionals who are not sponsored by an employer in Singapore. The Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) is a work visa issued by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) in Singapore. It is for high-earning foreign professionals who wish to work and live in Singapore on a long-term basis, regardless of whether they are employed or not. The PEP is granted for a period of three years and is non-renewable. Holders of the PEP are allowed to change employers without having to reapply for a new work visa. This gives them greater flexibility and independence in their career choices. This also allows them to explore other employment opportunities in Singapore. To be eligible for the PEP, applicants must meet certain criteria, including:
    • A minimum fixed monthly salary of SGD 18,000 (or SGD 12,000 for applicants in the financial sector)
    • A good employment record and professional qualifications
    • At least three years of relevant work experience
    • Currently employed in Singapore in a managerial, executive, or specialized role
    • Not owning a business registered in Singapore or not being a shareholder or director of a Singapore company

    Applicants who meet the eligibility requirements must submit an online application through MOM’s website. The processing time for the PEP application is typically around 8 weeks, and successful applicants will be notified by email.


These are just some of the types of passes available in Singapore. Their eligibility criteria and application procedures may vary depending on the specific pass. To find out more in detail, do reach out to us today.